Sunday, January 23, 2011

Microwave baths and texas mountain gems

After a nice dinner in austin we continued to head west. We were about an hour and a half out of austin when the temperature dropped dramatically causing us to seek refuge in a nice town called fredericksburg which was just over 3 hours from where we wanted to be. While mary was booking the room for the night she saw a business card for a local motorcycle shop and thought I could sell my extra handlebars to them. Upon further inspection we realized their business hours were 10am to 4pm which was unfortunate because we planned on being on the road by then and we needed all the day light we could get to avoid night time in the desert. After a little tv we settled in and went to bed. We woke up the next morning only to find the hotel had no hot water. Apparently I'm not the only man afraid of my old lady because all she had to do was say "so what kind of refund are you offering" and we got a fifty percent discount. After our complimentary breakfast and a crude bath with microwaved water we packed up and hit the road. Just a few miles out of town mary pulled over to remind me to take an adderall so I can focus on the road and not on how shinny some texans tow hitch, when I realized a spot of oil on my engine. Luckily for us we still had the card from the local shop, so I gave them a call and told them not only about my suspected leak but also about our trip. I was assured by a very nice man they could help and was given some easy to follow directions. After a quick ride we were there and I was told to pull my bike around back into the shop which much like heaven was riddled with everything from dirt bikes to old vespas and everything in between including a 1951 indian. After a nice man named paul took a quick look at my bike it was deemed a false alarm. I told him that I loved his shop and asked if I could take some pictures, he not only agreed but offered to take many and I on a tour. The front of the shop was somehow even better then the back. There were a bunch of classic bsa and triumphs along with new harleys, they also had every other make of bike you could think of. One of my favorites was the moped with a sportster 1200 engine in it, they even told me they plan on making more just like it! Due to the fact they wouldn't except a payment for taking a look at my bike mary and I thought we had to buy something. After settling on a shirt I asked how much the owners daughter how much it was and she responded with "oh honey you can just have that we don't even carry that shirt anymore."! After a whole bunch of thank yous we tried to buy a calendar in an attempt to give them some kind of money and much to our surprise she said once again "you guys can just have that to we need to get new ones printed anyway". On our way out they wished me luck in school I thanked them and paul and I agreed I should call them when I graduate, looks like texas might be a next on the list. Did I mention we didn't even start driving for the day yet? From the shop the gps took us on an alternate route and man I'm a glad it did. We got to take the scenic route threw some beautiful mountains with a bunch of great turns that made me miss new york even more. After a nice two hour ride threw the mountains we finally hit i-10 again and it was smooth sailing, at for a short while. After about 40 miles we hit 30 mile and hour winds which had me all over the roads. The wind was so intense I took a photo of my speedo and you can actually see the wind it almost looks like I took it under water. After a five hour drive from hell we ended up in fort stockton texas. We unfortunately ended up with a crappy motel 6 with tiny towel and 10 channels non of which were spiketv which was show free live ufc fights for the troops. Tomorrow its off to demming new mexico. By the way if your ever in fredericksburg look up moto-texas powersports you won't be disappointed. Stay tuned.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry