Thursday, February 10, 2011

Poppas got a band new bag

Ive had a mean pair of zbars taunting me since christmas and last night I finally got them. Mostly thanks to this cat chris I met at school. Chris is a cool guy from kentucky hes actually one of the few reall bikers in my class so far and hes been alot of help. Not to mention his bike is sick. This was actually our second time trying to got these damn things on. Last saturday I work up early and headed to chris's handy dandyq garage. Once I got there we threw my bike up on the lift and dropped my forks a little bit so the end of the bars would clear the end of my tripple trees. After that we took the old bars off and started to figure out the wiring...only problem was we couldnt figure out the wiring so broken hearted I pieced my bike back together. Luckily since I go to a school for bikes I was able to go the libary and get a wiring diagram. Last night after class after going back to my apartment to make a couple important calls back home I headed back to chris's place. Which convinantly for me is about two miles down the road from our new apartment. After a delicious dinner made my chris's girlfriend it was about quater to eight by the time we dove back into my bike for the second time. Since this was the second time we had tried this we both grabbed some tools and stripped my bike down pretty quick. We were able to finally find the wiring harness for my hand controls we just could seem to figure out how to get them around the 90 degree angles. After finding about thirty different ways NOT to run the wires we settled on a pretty solid method. We taped all the holes in the bars except one, which we ran a piece of bow fishing wire threw (yes bow fishing...like I said the mans from kentucky) and blew the the uncovered hole which forced the string around the corners. We then broke up my wiring harness in to three smaller clumps of wores and used the string to pull them threw the bars. By the time we were done it was about three o clock in the morning. So all types of excited I turn my key and my headlight doesnt work for some reason?! We never touched the headlight or any of the wires! In spite of that everything worked so chris followed my home in his old ladies car so I had some lights. Tomorow im gonna find a dealer to get a new bulb from. To be honest after waiting so long to get these on not only was it worth the time but it was even worth the new headlight. While I was there I decided to pull my front fender off to. Im trying to build my bike on a budget and so far its working out great. The bike on the bottom is chris's monster.